Saturday, March 17, 2012

It's Good To Be Back - Weeks 10/11

I'm baaaaaccckkk!  I am feeling much better and ready to work!  For this project I wanted to do something a little more time consuming to make up for not doing a craft while I was sick!  I decided to make a quilted purse and matching zippered pouch.  So, here we go......


I started by gathering the supplies I thought I would need.  I also sketched a picture of the bag I wanted to make.  The roll of fabric strips was my inspiration.  It is a roll of pre-cut 2 1/2 inch strips in a palette of red, white, and blue.  


I chose the strip colors I wanted to work with and started sewing them together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.


After sewing all the strips together I ironed the piece flat.

I then cut the large panel of strips into two smaller pieces to use as the front and back of the purse. I also did this with the lining fabric.

I cut two matching panels of a medium weight batting and started to quilt the fabric to the batting.  I decided to sew a top stitch 1/4 inch away from the seam of each piece to make a clean simple line.


Next, to give the bag a little shape, I sewed a pleat into the front and back center of the bag and lining.


The supplies for the flap.  I sewed two pieces of the fabric together and attached one part of the magnetic snap to the flap and the other half to the front of the bag.


I sewed the front and back of the purse pieces together at the sides and bottom.  To create some depth to the purse I "bagged" the bottom by matching the bottom and side seams and sewing across 2 inches from the edge.


With right sides together I inserted the bag into the lining and sewed around the top edge.

I left an opening in the bottom seam of the lining and pulled the bag through it.  I sewed the seam closed and tucked the lining into the bag.

I sewed around the top of the bag again to make sure the lining stayed tucked in.


I made straps by sewing two long strips right sides together and then turned them right side out.  I attached them to the sides of the bag, leaving some hanging down on both sides to tie into a knot.

The finished purse with the side knots and the flap closed!

A close-up.

To make the pouch I cut two smaller pieces of my fabric strip set and attached a zipper to the top of each piece before I sewed the sides and bottom.  

The finished set!  I love how these turned out and I am sure I will use them a lot!  Hope you like enjoyed seeing my creative process!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that turned out great. Love the way you have photos explaining and showing what you are doing. Nice job with the demonstration. You are doing very well.

    ReplyDelete