Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Busy Week - Week 9

This week has been a busy week!  Not only did I make the dress you will see in the blog, but I helped out at Wyatt's school and helped his teacher finish a cute project that I will also show you!  Then, Wyatt came down with the flu on Thursday and unfortunately, I think it's coming my way too!  Whew...here we go!  The pattern I chose is Simplicity 2590 and I made view D, that was inspired by view B.  That's what I  love about sewing, changing things up and making them your own.



View D is a halter style dress, but I made it out of two fabrics like view B.  The fabrics are pre-washed 100% cotton.  One is a black and white polka dot print, the other is a black white and red floral/Asian print.


Cutting out the pieces, there were only four!  Bodice front and back and skirt front and back!


Since the dress is a halter the armhole edges need to be finished.  The directions called for sewing seam binding to the right side of the fabric and folding to the inside and sewing close to the edge.  This turned out really nice!


Oops...it wouldn't be a Stephanie project if I didn't have to rip out some threads!  I was supposed to sew the side seams together with the right sides of the fabric facing each other.  Instead I had right side to wrong side!  


The finished dress is a little different than the pattern...I placed the elastic at the seam between the two fabrics because I am longer waisted than the pattern and where it wanted me to put the elastic would have put it almost under my chest!  Not a good look!  The top tie is a red grosgrain ribbon and I plan to wear this with a red patent leather belt.  This was a fun and easy dress to make!


The project I helped out with for Wyatt's teacher was really clever.


The kids painted and decorated these pages to look like Washington and Lincoln.


I cut them all out and glued them together back to back matching the shapes.



Then, when you flip it over one side is Washington and the other is Lincoln!  Pretty cute!  Wyatt's teacher comes up with some really great crafts for them and I am always happy to help her out!

1 comment: